Here's a little information about my background and
qualifications for public office:
I have lived in Citrus Heights since 1991, and am married
to Ted Costa (taxfighter, People's Advocate). No children,
but we have cats, dogs, ducks, geese, peacocks, pheasants, and chickens.
I am both a practicing veterinarian and a licensed attorney,
although not currently actively practicing law. I have a small animal house-call practice – Acupuncture †Plus -- offering small animal acupuncture treatments as well as traditional Western medicine.
Currently, I represent Citrus Heights on the Sacramento Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District (2008-present). My passion is public outreach and I will speak to any group that invites me to discuss the district activities or vector-borne
diseases (including West Nile, dog heartworm and more).
In recognition of my dedication to the community, I was the Recipient of the 2009 Hero of Human Services award, presented by the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors. In July 2014, I was appointed by Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan as her district representative to the Area 4 Agency on Aging. This agency disperses funding for senior programs in the region and makes sure that your tax dollars are invested wisely.
As a Citrus Heights city council member from 2004-2012, I was able to:
- keep Citrus Heights financially healthy, with a $35 million reserve fund;
- build a community center
- help draft the 5-year strategic plan for the San Juan Unified School District;
- develop the strategic plan for Skycrest Elementary School;
- improve law enforcement services
- secure a donation of 60,000 pounds of pet food to be delivered by Meals-On-Wheels volunteers to pets of homebound seniors
- serve as Mayor in 2011-2012
- J.D., University of Santa Clara, School of Law, Santa Clara, CA (1986)
- D.V.M., Colorado State University, School of Veterinary Medicine,
Fort Collins, CO (1980)
- B.S., Colorado State University, Fort Collins. CO (1974), Microbiology,
(cum laude); and Boston University, Boston, MA
- Veterinary Acupuncture, International Veterinary Acupuncture Society and the Chi Institute in Florida
- I am working on certification as a hospice caregiver for pets
- Mediation training, Sacramento Mediation Center
- Arbitrator, BBB Autoline (disputes arising under the lemon laws)
- Classes in grant-writing at Nonprofit Resource Center
- I am trying to teach myself Polish (my heritage) and Russian (love the language)
- I have taken many computer classes at American River College, GPA 4.0
Legal Career Highlights
- I represented People’s Advocate in the United State
Supreme Court to defend the constitutionality of Proposition
13 when it was challenged.
- I filed a brief in the United States Supreme Court
in support of Congressional Term Limits, passed by the voters of the
State of Arkansas. I argued the 10th Amendment validates their vote.
- California State Bar, admitted to practice before
the Supreme Court of the United States and before District Court, Eastern
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Sacramento Valley Veterinary Medical Association
You can contact Dr. Jayna:
by cell phone: (916)599-DOGS (3647)
by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
by snail mail: 6929 Larkspur Avenue, CH 95610